An auto code scanner is an excellent way for the DIYer to diagnose problems with their vehicle. Having an auto code scanner can give you a better idea of what might be wrong with your vehicle before you take it in for service which may help your repair shop troubleshoot the problem faster saving you money.
Not every auto code scanner is created equal. The basic, low-budget models can usually read most diagnostic codes, but most won’t let you erase the codes, and many won’t detect manufacturer-specific codes or pending codes.
Interested in learning about other popular diagnostic tools? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- OBD Code Reader: Top Rated Auto Code Scan Tool
- Battery Check: Top Rated Handheld Digital Battery Tester
Many users would like their code scanner to be able to turn off a check engine light and reset monitors. Whether a basic code scanner can do that is hit and miss.
There are other features of an OBD2 scanner that are definitely helpful in diagnosing problems including being able to read freeze frame data which shows engine conditions such as fuel trim, engine coolant temperature, and more at the time the Malfunction Indicator Lamp was set. Knowing that information can be the difference between an accurate and inaccurate diagnosis.
The ability of a car code reader to read, record, graph, and playback live sensor data gives you even more ammunition when trying to determine what’s happening with your vehicle’s engine.
We searched automotive forums, auto repair forums, manufacturer sites, social media, consumer sites, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated code scanner.
Take a look at our choice and see if this vehicle code scanner is the best code scanner for your needs!
FOXWELL is a professional supplier of automotive diagnostic products and their FOXWELL NT301 OBDII Vehicle Code Scanner is one of their most popular. It features the ability to read and erase codes as well as retrieve a wealth of information from the Engine Control Unit (ECU) or computer. TThisOBD tool covers all the most popular protocols and will work with virtually any vehicle manufactured after 1995. These days, a trip to the repair shop to diagnose a check engine light or other malfunction can be costly. A better plan is to have some idea of what might be wrong before you get help from the professionals. Using an auto code scanner, you may be able to diagnose exactly what’s wrong or at least help point your mechanic in the right direction. You may be able to save yourself from getting ripped off by a mechanic who thinks you don’t know what you’re talking about. In any event, it’s likely that an OBDII and EOBD scanner will save you time and money over showing up blind at the automotive service center. Specifically designed for use by car owners, it can identify problems with your vehicle before you take it to the mechanic. Very easy to use, you simply plug it into the OBDII port under the dash and hit enter.
Auto Code Scanner: Features
- OBDII and EOBD code reader with fast read and clear of error codes for 1996 and newer US-Based, 2001 and newer EU-Based and Asian Cars, and OBDII/EOBD and CAN domestic or import vehicles
- Supports multiple code requests including generic, manufacturer-specific, and pending codes
- Reads and erases codes, turns off Check Engine Light (MIL), and resets monitors
- Optionally, automatically display DTC definition after reading
- Reads freezer frame data which shows engine conditions such as fuel trim, engine coolant temperature, etc. at the time the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (NIL) was set
- Reads, records, graphs, and plays back live sensor data
- Reads live O2 sensor/onboard monitor test data
- Red-Yellow-Green LEDS and an integrated speaker indicate provide emissions status notifications
- Records PIDs to help you diagnose intermittent driving performance problems that are so difficult to diagnose
- Automatic VIN acquisition and decoding makes it much easier to read manufacturer-specific codes and enhanced Mode 6 data
- Printing capability allows you to print out diagnostic data and give the data to your mechanic
- Simple one-click hot keys make reading/clearing DTCs easier and faster
- Handheld size, clearly arranged keypad, menu-driven navigation, hotkeys, and a 2.8-inch TFT color display all make this OBD2 scanner easy to use
- No battery required
Live Data Read Capability (Included But Not Limited To)
- Calculated Load Value
- Engine Coolant Temperature
- Short Term Fuel Trim
- Long Term Fuel Trim
- Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure
- Engine RPM/Vehicle Speed Sensor
- Intake Air Temperature
- Absolute Throttle Position
- Oxygen Sensor Output Voltage Bank
- Time Since Engine Start
- Equivalence Ratio
- Oxygen Sensor Voltage
- Fuel Level Input
- Barometric Pressure
- Control Module Voltage
- Absolute Load Value
- Relative Throttle Position
Manufacturer Note: Can only be updated on Windows systems
- Simple to use
- Excellent value
- Plenty of helpful features
- Lifetime upgrade policy
- Some complaints that connection cord is short
- Complaints of difficult to read manual
Auto Code Scanner
Did you like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular OBDII scanner? Which car code reader are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An auto code scanner can help you troubleshoot your own vehicle problems without spending a lot of money. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right auto code scanner for your needs!