You’re looking for the best portable air compressor to inflate or top-off your vehicle’s tires or other inflatables and there are many choices. The best portable air compressor should meet certain minimum criteria while delivering the performance and features you expect.
What should you look for in the best portable air compressor?
By their nature, portable air compressors are designed to run off at least 12VDC power sources which are usually inadequate to provide enough power for quick inflation. That being said, there are portable compressor models available that are highly efficient and deliver exceptional performance.
Interested in learning about other portable tool solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Inverter Generator: Most Popular 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Best Air Compressor: 7 Top Rated Portable Ultra Quiet Air Compressors
- 12V Air Compressor: Top Rated Digital Automatic Portable Air Pump
- Cordless Drill Driver: Powerful New DEWALT Cordless Drill Driver
- Battery Check: Top Rated Handheld Digital Battery Tester
- Cordless Ratchet: 3 Top Rated 3/8-Inch Lithium Electric Ratchet Kits
An RV for example, with 90 PSI tires may require a top off from 80 PSI to 90 PSI. The best portable air compressor should be able to inflate that RV tire in less than a minute.
Portable air compressors take a beating. The environment of inflating a tire during emergencies or off-road is usually a harsh one and so any model you choose should be up to the task. Your best bet is to choose a name brand with known construction quality and materials.
We searched RV forums, automotive forums, social media, manufacturers sites, consumer sites, retail sites, and customer review sites to find the most popular and highly rated portable air compressors.
Take a look at our choice and see if this top-rated oil-less compressor is the best portable air compressor for your needs!
Viair offers the most comprehensive line of fractional horsepower DC oil-less air compressors and accessories for on-road, off-road, and industrial requirements. Their Viair 40047 400P-RV Automatic Portable Compressor Kit is one of the most popular and highly rated portable compressor kits available. Designed for RV use and to inflate 275/80/22.5 tires from 80 to 90 psi in just 30 seconds, it has the power and accessories you need for other vehicles and other inflatables. You know how much of a pain it is to fill multiple tires on your vehicle using a standard manual compressor. You need to run back and forth between the tire and the compressor to check pressure and turn the compressor off at the right time. This model’s automatic shut-off relieves you from that runaround and saves you time. An 8-foot power cord along with 30-foot primary and extension air hoses give you a long reach around your vehicle.
Best Portable Air Compressor: Features
- Heavy-duty permanent magnet pump motor with a 33% duty cycle at 100 PSI
- Automatic shut-off function makes filling multiple tires faster and more convenient
- Vibration-resistant diamond plate sand tray is more stable on soft ground
- Heat-shielded quick connect coupling
- Gas station-style tire inflation gun with 160 PSI gauge
- Heavy duty dual battery clamps with inline safety fuse
- Maximum working pressure of 150 PSI
- Maximum motor amperage draw of 30 amps
- 8-foot power cord
- Unit measures 10.87L x 5.83W x 7.48H inches and weighs 10.75 lbs.
Note from the manufacturer: The air hose supplied with this kit may become brittle from prolonged exposure to UV/sunlight. – Stow when not in use. Never allow the hose to come into contact with the head of the compressor during use (melting hazard). The use of the included air hose is not recommended in subzero or freezing conditions.
- 1 – Set primary (30-foot) and extension (30-foot) air hoses
- 1 – 45-degree extended-reach chuck for dual rear wheels
- 1 – 90-degree twist-on chuck
- 1 – Heavy duty deluxe protective carrying bag\
- 1 – 3-piece inflation tip kit
- Compact, but powerful
- High-quality construction and materials
- Simple operation
- Fills tires quickly
- Inferior quality quick connect fittings
- Some reports that it gets very hot during operation
- Small battery clamps
Best Portable Air Compressor
Did you like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular portable air compressor? Which air compressor are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A portable air compressor is a great tool to carry with you in your vehicle to inflate tires during an emergency, support off-road adventures, to provide air to inflatables you may have at the beach, while camping, for sleepovers, for visitors, and more. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best portable air compressor for your needs!