If you’re looking for an electrical circuit tester to troubleshoot automotive electrical problems, then this article has just what you’re looking for. An electrical circuit tester is a go-to tool for automotive technicians, DIYers, and anyone who has to track down all kinds of 12/24VDC electrical gremlins that find their way into our cars and trucks.
The right electrical circuit tester is a multifunction digital voltmeter that works off 12/24VDC sources, can apply power and ground to the circuit, and can troubleshoot a variety of problems.
Interested in learning about other popular testing tools? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Auto Code Scanner: Top Rated OBDII Vehicle Code Scanner
- OBD Code Reader: Top Rated Auto Code Scan Tool
- Battery Check: Top Rated Handheld Digital Battery Tester
You should expect a multifunction circuit tester you buy to diagnose the average voltage level of a circuit, capture the highest detected voltage, measure the difference between the positive and negative peak voltage levels, provide continuity testing, test individual components of the circuit, and provide bad ground contact testing.
What should you consider when purchasing an electrical circuit tester?
Electrical circuit testers can be simple or complex. The more complex models are multifunction tools that can diagnose more problems. A simple electrical tester may only indicate if there is voltage in the line. Which you buy depends on your needs. If your time is money, you will want a multifunction model.
Any circuit tester you buy should be protected against short circuits with at least a fuse.
Warranties are only as good as the vendor or manufacturer that offers them. Make sure you buy from a tried and true brand that will back up your warranty. If you must wait for an overseas manufacturer to make good on their warranty, you may be disappointed in the end.
Expect a manufacturer that has faith in their product to offer at least a one-year limited warranty against defects in parts and workmanship.
We searched automotive forums, retail sites, social media, manufacturer sites, customer reviews sites, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated multifunction circuit tester.
Take a look at our choice and see if this electrical circuit tester is the best circuit tester for your needs!
Headquartered in Brea, California, Power Probe, Inc. has been a trusted manufacturer of motor vehicle supplies and tools for automotive technicians for more than 20 years and has become an industry standard for diagnosing and probing DC electrical circuits. All Power Probe products undergo a strict quality control inspection for workmanship, function, and safety prior to leaving the factory. They are an industry standard for diagnosing and probing DC electrical circuits. Their Power Probe PP319FTCBLK III in Black is one of their best testers yet featuring the ability to diagnose a variety of electrical problems that automotive technicians face every day. It is their most revolutionary automotive circuit tester packed with quick diagnostic power and multiple capabilities allowing automotive technicians to speed through regularly scheduled maintenance and the troubleshooting saving time and money. Designed to work with 12-24VDC systems, it can supply power or ground with an indicator tone and bright white LED headlamps and includes a digital voltmeter, min/max, audible circuit monitoring, 4mm standard banana jack, and auxiliary ground for component testing. Use this Power Probe to test components on and off the vehicle, check for good and bad grounds, test for continuity, diagnose circuit failures, and much more.
Electrical Circuit Tester: Features
- Multifunction, 12-24VDC automotive electrical circuit tester
- Supplies power or auxiliary ground for functional component testing with an indicator tone
- DC voltmeter indicators provide active feedback
- Active LED lighting
- Power cable length of 20 feet allows you to work far from the battery without searching for a ground and is extendable to 40 feet
- Bad ground indicator
- Continuity tester
- Short circuit indicator
- Relay and component tester
- Audible monitoring of electrical signals
- Standard banana jack
- Auxiliary ground
- Operating temperature of -4 to 131 degrees F
- 8-amp power feed is protected by a circuit breaker with manual reset
- 1-Year manufacturers warranty against defects in parts and workmanship
How Does it Work?
- You connect the Power Probe III’s clips to the vehicle’s battery.
- You can determine at a glance the voltage level and polarity of the circuit without needing a separate voltmeter or reconnecting the clips from one battery pole to the other.
- The power switch allows you to conduct a positive or negative battery current to the tip for activating and testing the function of electrical components without wasting time on jumper leads.
- You can test for bad ground contacts instantly without performing voltage drop tests and locates short circuits without wasting precious fuses.
- You can also test for continuity with the assistance of its auxiliary ground lead.
- With the flip of the power switch, you will know instantly that your Power Probe III is functioning without running to the battery as you otherwise would have to do with simple test lights.
- The unit’s 20-foot cable (extendable to 40 feet) allows you to test along the entire length of the vehicle without constantly searching for ground hookups.
Five Modes in One Tool
- Power Probe Mode that indicates the average voltage level of the circuit
- Negative Peak Mode that monitors a positive circuit and captures the lowest voltage that it has dropped to
- Positive Peak Mode which monitors the probed circuit and captures the highest detected voltage
- Peak to Peak Mode which measures the difference between the positive and negative peak voltage levels over a 1 second period
- Threshold Level Setting Mode that is used to adjust the threshold voltage in Power Probe Mode for peak to peak detection and signal monitoring
- 1 – Probe tip
- 1 – Battery clip set
- 1 – 12/24VDC power port adapter
- 1 – 20-foot extension cable
- 1 – Blow-molded protective carrying case
- Multi-function capability is outstanding
- Flawless performance
- Excellent quality construction and materials
- Value priced
- None noted
Electrical Circuit Tester
Did you like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular circuit tester? Which automotive electrical tester are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
A superior quality electrical circuit tester allows you to accurately test for all kinds of problems associated with an automotive electrical system. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best electrical circuit tester for your needs!