A gun vise is an important part of any firearm or archery owner’s arsenal for gunsmithing and maintaining your guns and cleaning your compound bows or crossbows. Without a gun vise, it’s difficult to hold your gun or bow in the proper configuration to perform important maintenance and adjustments.
A gun vise will securely lock your firearm in place while you clean, design, assemble, modify or repair it.
What should you look for in a useful gun vise?
It may be obvious that any piece of a gun vise that touches your firearm should protect it from scratching, marring, or damage. I think most gun vise makers have thought of that, but not all protection is the same. Make sure that the firearm vise you buy has the protection your gun deserve no matter how the gun is secured in the vise.
Interested in learning about other popular tools for your garage or shop? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Best Tool Backpack: Top Rated High-Performance Tool Backpack
- Portable Solar Power Generator: Reliable Flexible Off-Grid Power
- Cordless Drill Kit: Popular Best Rated Drill and Project Kit 2018
- Drill Press: Top-Rated 12-Inch Variable Speed Benchtop Drill Press
- FEIN Power Tools: Top Rated Cordless Oscillating Multi-Tool
- Cordless Drill Driver: Powerful New DEWALT Cordless Drill Driver
- Tools and Gadgets: 25 Best New Unique Tool and Gadget Gifts
Flexible Mounting Points
If you’re like many gun owners, you have more than one gun and all of your guns are different in some way. That means any vise you buy should be flexible enough to handle most standard gun sizes and shapes from handguns, to rifles, to break-open shotguns, to even muzzleloaders, compound bows, and crossbows. If
Buying a vise with a cheap plastic frame is only going to come back to bite you when it falls off your bench and dumps a prized firearm on the floor. The best gun vises feature a heavy-duty metal frame that is corrosion-resistant and can stand up to hours and hours of work.
Probably the most used parts of any vise are the knobs you use to clamp your firearm in place. They take a beating, but as importantly, the put stress and strain on your hands. Look for ergonomically designed knobs that let you clamp your gun in place with a minimal amount of force and with ease.
If you’re planning to use your gun vise to mount scopes, then the vise needs to be completely level. The best vises have independently leveling feet to make sure
There is at least one vise that rotates. By rotating, it gives you a better angle for working on actions, receivers, and other hard to reach places. If most of your work is in that area, you should consider a model that rotates.
We searched firearm forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer reviews sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated gun vise.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these popular gun vises is the best gun vise for your needs!
Battenfield Technologies, Inc., make of Tipton gun vises, takes firearm cleaning and maintenance to the next level with flexible, durable, reliable, and convenient products like the Tipton 110011 Ultra Firearm and Bow Vise. It features a flexible design that will accommodate most conventional rifles, break-open shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, compound bows, and crossbows for cleaning, Gunsmithing, and maintenance. Additional features include dual ball and socket articulating, over-molded, non-marring, rubber clamp pads, two solvent-resistant clamp assemblies, and two solvent-resistant accessory trays. You don’t have to worry about comfort and durability. This model has a rigid stainless steel frame that’s built to last, a flexible, modular chassis, and non-slip ergonomic adjustment knobs. Great for mounting scopes it has four independently leveling feet to ensure your firearm is level for scope mounting.
- A Solvent-resistant and rigid steel frame will stand up to years of hard use
- Over-molded rubber contact pads throughout the device prevent damage to your firearms or bows
- Works with rifles, break open shotguns, handguns, muzzleloaders, compound bows, crossbows and handguns
- Ideal for Cleaning, gunsmithing, scope mounting and firearm and bow maintenance
- Short-framed rifle or pistols can be accommodated by just sliding the clamps closer together
- 2 solvent-resistant accessory trays are rearrangeable and removable
- Different modules can be quickly moved, rearranged or removed anywhere along the rail
- Ball and socket articulating clamp pads allow for the pads to adapt to any surface.
- Leveling feet on all corners makes scope leveling easier
Easy to move around and store
Flexible mounting options
Tools/parts trays keep accessories in easy reach
Durable construction and materials
May not be sturdy enough for heavy gunsmithing
Some complaints that height adjustment won’t hold due to smooth plastic surfaces
No rotating capability
A gun vise is one of the most important tools that any serious firearm or archery owner can have to take your maintenance and gunsmithing to the next level. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best gun vise for your needs!