A high velocity fan is the go-to tool for circulating air within private, industrial, and commercial buildings to cool loading docks, warehouses, garages, manufacturing floors, assembly lines, stables, pet groomers, shops, storage facilities, health clubs, and more or even outdoors for sporting events, tailgating, large tents, zoos, or anywhere you need high-velocity cooling. A common high velocity fan sits on the floor and may be portable for movement around the building and from room to room.
What should you look for in a quality high-velocity fan?
Obviously, size will affect the capability of any fan to move air around the building. The question is how much airflow do you need.
I worked in a UPS warehouse many years ago and they used fans to keep air flowing through the building on hot summer days. The fans were large and very noisy, but they got the job done.
The model in this article is 30 inches in diameter and is one of the larger high-velocity fans commonly used.
If you’re looking for a high-velocity fan for an industrial space, you may not be as concerned about the sound level. On the other hand, if you’re trying to cool a health club or exercise facility, noise level might be very important.
If you’re concerned about noise level, it might be better to choose multiple smaller fans and place them around the room away from each other. Each individual fan will have a lower noise level and spacing them apart helps to keep the noise from adding together in one location.
The model in this article has three speeds with a top speed noise level of 75 dB. That’s about the same level as a noisy vacuum cleaner. The OSHA permissible exposure limit (PEL) is 90 dBA for workers in an 8-hour day.
The model in this article has a fully enclosed motor that helps reduce noise level, even for a 30-inch model size.
Interested in learning about other industrial tools? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Best Cordless Ratchet: Top Rated 3/8-Inch Cordless Electric Ratchet Wrench Set
- 60 Gallon Air Compressor: Top Rated Professional Air Compressor Workhorse
- Inverter Generator: Most Popular 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Best Air Compressor: 7 Top Rated Portable Ultra Quiet Air Compressors
- Sioux Air Tools: 4 New Improved Sioux Air Tools Series
- DCK590L2: Best Rated Most Popular DEWALT 20V 5-Tool Combo Kit
When you buy a fan for an industrial or commercial setting, you’re anticipating that it will have a long useful life. That means the fan should have durable metal components, a fully
Also, look for a manufacturer that thoroughly tests their products in accordance with
Also make sure that any products you are considering comply with ETL and OSHA regulations.
Larger high velocity floor fans can be unwieldy to move because of their weight and bulkiness. If you have the need to move your floor fan fairly often, consider a model with wheels to make the task easier.
When a manufacturer provides a long warranty, they are telling you they have faith in their workmanship and the materials they use. Look for a warranty of at least one year on any industrial fan you’re considering.
We searched industrial forums, commercial forums, manufacturer sites, retail sites, customer review sites, social media, and consumer sites to find the most popular and highly rated large industrial-grade high-velocity fan.
Take a look at this 30-inch model from Air King to see if it’s the best
If you’re looking for an industrial fan that really packs a punch, but that you can easily move wherever you want, the Air King 9230 30-Inch Industrial Grade High-Velocity Portable Pivoting Floor Fan is an excellent choice. Hard at work in industrial and commercial settings around the country, it features a powerful 3-speed, quiet, completely sealed, permanently lubricated motor, steel construction for durability, wheels for portability, an integrated pivoting mechanism so you can point it right where you need the most airflow, and powder-coated critical parts for corrosion resistance.
High Velocity Fan: Features
- Powerful, portable, pivotable, 30-inch, high-velocity, floor fan
- 3-speed, 1/4 HP, single phase, ball bearing, fully enclosed, motor with permanent lubrication and split capacitor makes the motor quiet and prolongs its life
- Three motor speed settings include airflows of 7400, 6460, and 4980 cubic feet per minute (CFM) on high, medium, and low respectively
- The motor’s RPM is 1040, 902, and 860 RPM on high, medium, and low respectively
- The motor is rated at 2.4, 1.9, and 1.5 amps draw, and 255, 200, and 154 watts on high, medium, and low settings respectively
- Its motor’s split capacitor design offers smooth acceleration without the need for a more powerful motor with starting torque
- Pivoting head allows you to direct airflow precisely where it’s needed most
- Steel construction for durability
- Powder-coated blade guard, motor housing, and motor mounts for years of use without fear of corrosion
- Meets made in America requirements of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 (ARRA)
- Solid frame with easy-grip handle and wheels make transporting the 9230 from room to room fast and easy
- Tested in accordance with AMCA standard 230.00
Complies with ETL and OSHA regulations
- Blade guard, motor housing, and handle are all finished in black
- Includes a 10-foot, 3-conductor SJT type power cord that is rated by specification to 60 degrees C and 300V and is oil-, water-, alkali-, and ozone-resistant
- Rear-mounted rotary switch
- Dimensions are 33.75L x 12.25W x 35.5H inches and it weighs 48.3 lbs.
- 1-Year limited warranty against defects in materials and workmanship
- Powerful yet quiet
- Moves a lot of air for cooling
- Easy portability
- Durable construction and materials
- Some reports of vibration causing fan movement
High Velocity Fan
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this popular industrial fan? Which industrial-grade fan are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
If you need heavy-duty cooling in your industrial or commercial setting, then a high-velocity fan is the way to go. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best high velocity fan for your needs!