If you’re looking for an inverter generator, then you know that it has several advantages over a conventional generator. You also know that an inverter generator is more expensive than a regular generator.
Here is a comparison of the two types of generators to help you with your decision.
A regular portable generator generates electricity that is adequate for many applications. They are used successfully in small business operations like construction or other contracting, to provide backup power to a freezer or room air conditioner, for emergencies during severe weather events, for camping or other outdoor off-grid activities, and many more.
Interested in learning about cordless power tools you can charge with your portable inverter generator? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- Cordless Finish Nailer: Top-Rated Cordless 18V 16-Gauge Angled Finish Nailer
- Cordless Drill Driver: Powerful New DEWALT Cordless Drill Driver
- Compact Cordless Drill: Top Rated Compact 20V Drill Driver Kit
- Cordless Jigsaw: Top 5 Best Rated Lithium-Ion Cordless Jigsaws
- Ryobi Combo Kit: Top Rated 18V Ryobi Drill and Impact Driver Combo Kit
- Bosch Cordless Tools: 6 Top Rated Bosch 2-Tool Combo Kits
- Power Screwdriver: Top 7 Best Rated Portable Lithium Ion Cordless Screwdrivers
- Bosch Combo Kit: Top Rated Bosch 18V 2-Tool Combo Kit
- DCK590L2: Best Rated Most Popular DEWALT 20V 5-Tool Combo Kit
- Cordless Sawzall: 7 Top Rated Cordless Reciprocating Saws
A regular portable generator is not suited for delicate electronic equipment like medical equipment or computer equipment. That’s because the block wave AC power output of a conventional generator is not the same smooth sine wave power as you get from the grid.
To convert the power you get from a conventional generator into smooth power, an inverter is used. The AC power from the generator is first transformed into DC power and then the inverter converts the DC power back to smooth AC power. The resulting power from an inverter generator is suitable for any application including delicate electronics and medical equipment.
To generate standard 120-volt, 60Hz electric power, a generator must operate at a constant 3,600 RPM under all conditions. That presents two problems. One is the noise and the other is the possibility of inconsistent power production if the motor on the generator slows down or speeds up during operation.
An inverter generator is not dependent on constant speed to generate power. It’s engine speed is dictated by the electrical demand. That reduces noise and results in more consistent power production.
Conventional generators run at a constant 3,600 RPM no matter the load. As a result, they generate a lot of noise.
Inverter generators run at speeds tied to the electrical demand and so when there is less demand, the unit can run at a lower speed and produce less noise. Inverter generators run much quieter than conventional generators.
Inverter generators can produce more power than conventional generators for each motorcycle. By varying speed to match demand fuel consumption is reduced significantly. Inverter generators are much more fuel efficient than conventional generators.
Weight and Size
An inverter generator’s design allows it to be much lighter and more compact than a comparable regular generator. High power, highly portable generators will be inverter generators.
For all this capability, you pay a price. You can expect inverter generators to be much more expensive than their standard counterparts. Most owners will tell you that in the long run, it’s worth the price for the quiet, fuel-efficient operation, compact size, and light weight.
We searched power generation forums, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, social media, customer review sites, and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated portable inverter generators.
Take a look at our choice and see if this Honda generator is the best inverter generator for your needs!
The Honda EU2000I Super Quiet 2000-Watt Portable Generator with Inverter may be the perfect choice for emergencies, camping, job sites, and more. It features very low noise operation, an incredibly lightweight and highly portable design, excellent fuel efficiency, and stable clean power production. With a large nearly one-gallon fuel tank it will run up to 8.1 hours on a single tank of fuel. This is a quiet generator only generating about as much noise as a normal conversation. Honda also offers the ability to double power using a parallel hookup kit and two Honda EU2000i units. Safety features include Oil Alert, generator overload circuit protection, and a USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler. You will find plenty of uses for this powerful, reliable, portable power generation unit including TV/DVDs, satellite, refrigerators, coffee pots, AC units, and much more.
Inverter Generator: Features
- Super quiet, compact, lightweight 98.5cc, 2000W portable inverter generator
- Inverter technology delivers stable, clean power as reliable as the power from the grid
- Operates at 53 to 59 dBA which is less than the noise of a normal conversation
- Honda’s Eco Throttle System delivers greater fuel efficiency running up to 8.1 hours on a single tank
- Dimensions are a compact 20.2L x 11.4W x 16.7H inches and it weighs a lightweight 46 lbs.
- 12V/8.0A unregulated DC output capability for charging 12VDC automotive-type batteries using an optional charging cord
- Oil Alert protects the generator by shutting off the engine when a low oil event is detected
- USDA-qualified spark arrestor/muffler
- Easy recoil start
- 0.95-gallon fuel tank
- Generator overload circuit protection
- Long 3-Year residential and commercial warranty
Most customers also buy the Honda Power Equipment 08P57Z0700S Outdoor Silver Storage Cover for Honda EU2000i >>>
- Compact, quiet, and fuel efficient
- Relatively lightweight and portable
- Easy starting
- Must add oil to generator before use
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of this very popular inverter generator? Which generator are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
An inverter generator provides clean power that’s suitable for your delicate electronic devices. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the right inverter generator for your needs!